George Smith


George Smith


Brief Sketch of a Well-known Successful Farmer and Merchant – Several Years of Early Life Passed in Danby.

It is with much pleasure that we this week print the portrait and sketch of a gentlemen who is well known to a great many readers of the MIRROR, both in this vicinity and other parts of the country where old Rutland County people are to be found.

Mr. George Smith was born, April 26, 1823, in the town of Rupert. His parents were Norris and Hannah (Lobdell) Smith, the father being born in Connecticut in the year 1800 and his mother in Pawlet in the year 1799. Mr. Smith’s father died when George was very young and his mother’s death took place 1877, at the age of 78 years.

When George was ten years old he went to live with Silas Hulett, where he remained for three or four years. He then found employment with Erastus Kelley, who then lived on what is now known as the Ed. Green place, in Danby, where he remained for two years, then going to Middletown and working for Eli Oatman for two years.

When eighteen years old, Mr. Smith re-entered the employ of Silas Hulett, who then lived in the western part of the town of Danby, working for him three seasons by the month at $10 and $11 per month. He also worked at building wall for six seasons, with the exception of the haying period, then working by the day for various farmers at $1.25 per day; also working one year for Foster Otis for $18 per month.

June 2, 1852, Mr. Smith was married to Anna L. Thompson in Clarendon by Rev. Samuel C. Loveland, and two years later moved to Chittenden, and lived on the Billings farm for two years. He then moved to the Foster Otis farm in Danby, and after carrying it, on one year bought the farm and stock. In the spring of 1859 he sold the farm and stock to William Vail, and in 1861 bought the Austin Dickernian farm in North Mount Holly, in company with his father-in-law, Israel Thompson, three years later selling his interest to Mr. Thompson and purchasing of Samuel Foster his home in Bowlville. After living there one year he sold the place to Charles Kimball and moved to the Deacon White farm, where he remained one year.

In the spring of 1866 Mr. Smith bought the Nicholas Cook faun, but one year afterwards sold it to Ira Edmunds. During that year Mr. and Mrs. Smith buried their three children within the short space of four weeks, diphtheria being the cause of their death.

In the spring of 1867, Mr. Smith bought of Fuller & Crapo the stock of goods in the Allen store at South Wallingford, and continued in the mercantile trade there for nine years, seven years of which he also acted as post-master. In the spring of 1868, another little one came to gladden the home of Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but died when five weeks old. In July, 1869, their last child, Jennie, was born. She remained to cheer her parents till 1892, when she married Mr. R. M. Tracy of Boston and removed to that city. She died in 1896 leaving two daughters and a son. The latter was only two weeks old when his mother died, and has always wade his home with his grandparents, who find much pleasure in giving him their tender care.

In 1876, Mr. Smith purchased of J. E. Edgerton the home where he now lives. He has resided in the town of Wallingford thirty-eight years, has been selectman for two years and a justice of the peace for several years. June 2nd of last year, Mr. and Mrs. Smith’s neighbors 4 and friends assembled at their home and joined them in celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage.
Mr. Smith’s grandfather on his father’s side was Ebenezer Smith, who lived in Connecticut and was a mason by trade. On his mother’s side, his great-grandfather, Daniel Hulett, was a revolutionary soldier and one of the first settlers of Pawlet.