S.L. Griffith Funeral Very Large Attendance at Services

Full Title:
Very Large Attendance at Services.
[Special to the Herald.]

DANBY, Aug 4.—The funeral of Silas L. Griffith of Danby, who died Tuesday, July 21, at San Diego, Cal., was held at the Congregational church here this afternoon at 2 o’clock. The church could not begin to hold those who wished to attend the funeral. The morning trains brought large numbers from out of town to attend the funeral and the noon train from the south, brought more. It is estimated that 200 or 300 friends from out of town were present, and the streets were lined with people, gathered in clusters’ talking quietly or exchanging silent handshakes.

The body was placed in the church in the morning and an opportunity was given from 9 until 2 o’clock for the friends to view the remains. An almost constant stream of people passed up the right aisle of the church, during this time, paused for a moment at the casket, and went down the left aisle and out. Business men, personal friends of Mr. Griffith, rubbed elbows with swarthy Italians, former employees of the dead man, from the “lumber jobs,” while now and then a dark-eyed Italian woman with brilliant headgear stole quietly up, took a peep into the casket and hurried out as silently as she came, all paying a last tribute.

There was a great profusion of flowers, prominent among those places in the church being a wreath of roses from the Baxter bank of Rutland, of which Mr. Griffith was a director, a pillar of roses from the employees at Mr. Griffith’s office, a harp of roses from the employees at his store, “Gates Ajar” of roses and carnations and a large cross of roses, carnations and Cher flowers from other employees, a cross and crown from Eugene McIntyre, his partner, and many cut flowers.

The stream passing through the church began to increase about neon and shortly after 1 o’clock the church began to fill. Long before 2 o’clock every seat was filled except those reserved for the immediate relatives and the directors of the Baxter bank. One aisle was completely filled with chairs and the other was filled except for a narrow passageway. When the services began the remainder of the aisle had been tilled. The porch was packed with men standing and the throng nearly filled the yard in front of the church, although it was raining at the time. Many went to the church, but were unable even to get near the door and went away.